From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 01:05:28 +0000
We did distemper vaccinations today.  10 days after rabies, a dose of
children's Benadryl beforehand.  None of the kids had had reactions before.
Shots given at between 4pm and 4:30 pm I left the vet's at a little after 7
(there were other things to do and we got into a discussion about things.)
The kids were sleepy, but very alert when awake.

I was exhausted when I got home and went to be early for me...but at 11 I
heard what sounded like hacking.  Second time I heard it, I got up to
check.  Sure enough Buddy was standing over the food bowl gasping and
vomiting.  I tried another dose of children's Benadryl but he vomited it
right back up.  The vet in town had to find a babysitter, and while I was
waiting for the call back Buddy started twitching and then diarrhea the
consistency of pee.

This was a *delayed* reaction, and it wasn't a mild one.  4:30 pm to 11 pm.
If I'd been asleep, I wouldn't have caught it.  *Don't*, please, even if
you've never had a reaction before, get the vaccination and then just leave
the kids alone.  Even if it's been a couple hours.  Use the precautions.
Make plans.  If you never have to use them that's great.  If I hadn't dosed
them, maybe he would have had a severe reaction right there...or maybe this
one could have been worse.

And *do* please vaccinate.  Unless your *good ferret-knowledgeable* vet
reccomends otherwise.  It's not worth the risk since precautions against
reactions can be taken, and a reaction caught early can be prevented from
becoming damaging and life threatening.  Even if you don't take your
ferrets out...what if they *get* out...it can happen to the best of us.
Wouldn't you feel better not having to worry about if they were exposed
to and will develop and die from canine distemper after you have the relief
of getting them back?  There are so many ways that they can be exposed...
getting out or someone (a roommate, signifcant other, kids) bringing a
strange animal into your house are two that would probably be the most
common for ferrets that aren't taken anywhere.

Yes, reactions are scary and can be life threatening, but much of that can
be eliminated if you not only take the proper precautions, but *plan* for
what to do in the event of a reaction...and especially a delayed reaction.
Know what your vet would want to do...dosages, what drugs, aftercare, etc.
so if they are not available, you can simply tell another vet what yours
wants done, and *you* feel better knowing that there is a game plan.

Sue