Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 04:32:03 -0400
Regarding fleas and flea products. I would never recommend over the
counter flea products on ferrets let alone cats and dogs. Zodiac flea
collars are carbaryl which is a pesticide. Your pet constantly absorbs
this toxic drug when wearing these collars and YOU also absorb the
compound when you handle your pets. These pesticides are toxic to
mammals which is why so much research has been done to come up with
safer treatments for our pets. The newer products such as Frontline,
Advantage, and Revolution are specific for biochemical processes in
the flea that mammels don't have which is why they are so safe to use.
Any animal can react to any compund but these products have excellent
safety. The old pesticides however are bad news.

Personally I use Frontline but in the spray form. The spray is dosed
by weight which I feel is safer. Not only that but if you read the box
and insert carefully, it lasts up to 3 months for fleas. And is very
resistant to repetitive bathing. One bottle of Frontline will do mucho
treatments which is extremely economical. My ferrets stay at the clinic
and have never had fleas using this treatment and applying every 2 to
2 and a half months. I have used Frontline extensively on cats, dogs,
sick animals, young, ancient, ferrets, raccoons, squirrels, etc. and
neither I nor any of my clients has ever had a problem with the product
(and no I don't have stock in the company!). There is a question of
it's use in rabbits but many practitioners do use it. For rabbits
however consider Revolution.

PLEASE stay away from the over the counter products with pesticides,
especially with safer products available. If you want to know how these
products actually work, which explains why they're so safe for mammals,
either the companies or your vet can give you the info. I know
everybody has their own recommendations and ideas but this is what
I tell my clients and what I do with my own fuzzies.

Good luck - fleas are a pain.

[A later PS]
Regarding my prior post. Before anybody jumps down my throat, yes,
Frontline, Reolution and Advantage are considered "pesticides" also,
the difference and thence their safety is in the way they work.
Hopefully each person will find out this info so they can make their
own decision. Also remember that these products have other chemicals
in them, like alcohol, etc. that allow them to spread over the body.
Definately these compounds could cause a localized skin reaction.
That is why I prefer the Frontline SPRAY dosed by body weight.

Ferrets rule!!