From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:18:28 -0400
>OK, here's my questions: 1) IF the ferret IS in heat, how long could she
>live without treatment?  2) IF the ferret is NOT in heat but has adrenal
>disease, how long could she live without treatment?  When is it "too late?"

1 - The max a female should be in heat is 3 weeks, but some ferrets can go
longer and even come out of cycle without intervention.  BUT - it is not
worth the risk.

2 - For adrenal (which I suspect in this case), I tell many people that the
adrenal needs to be affected long enough to show the vet which adrenal has
the growth.  With my shelter experience, I find a ferret can go 3-5 months
just fine with adrenal and it will not impact it's removal.  I prefer not to
let a ferret go longer than 6 months from the first signs of adrenal disease
though.  I do know of several ferrets which went a year or more without
treatment.  I also can say that naked ferrets with unknown histories have a
poorer survival rate post surgery than ferrets treated under 6 months and
not anywhere near naked (just a bald patch or swollen vulva).

I hope people have been accessing the STAR* database to find people closer
than those not on the FML - not everyone can afford a computer.

Foreign objects

Ferrets are unique in that the color they eat is the color they poop -
unless it is a foreign object.  Then the poop looks greenish.  If it is
cloth, the poops will look greenish yellow and twisted - if you take the
poop and soak it in water and then dissect it, you will see that it is just
material.

With any funny looking poops.  I like to suggest soaking it in warm water
and taking it apart to see what is really in there - you might be surprised.

For example - a friend could not understand why her ferret's stools were
always thin.  I asked to keep the ferret for a few days to observe.  I
administered Laxitone and watched.  Within two potty breaks, out comes a
poop with what looked to me to be vinyl purple material.  poops became
normal.  I saved the foreign object and showed it to my friend the next day
- she had no latex toys, could not figure what it was.  It was several weeks
later that my friend found a rubber water bottle in the closet in pieces -
the ferret was sleeping in the linen closet and making a snack out of the
hot water bottle material.  The red had turned purple in the digestive
acids.

>At this time we do not know if any Virginia or Maryland shelters will be
>informed in the future if other ferrets are brought to the DC Animal
>Shelter.

Well, other than helping the Scotts out directly with "counsel", I was
staying out of the DC situation - but what goes around with ferrets usually
comes my way sooner or later...

I received a call today from "Jim" at the DC animal shelter (9/3/96) and he
is placing the DC ferret out of the district.  He was very interested in my
adoption policies and practices (was disappointed that I did not do in-home
checks) but receptive to calling me if he could not reach the All About
Bandit people.

I promised to send him and the DC shelter LOTS of ferret care and education
literature.

I want to publicly thank the Scotts and Donna Austin for their attention to
this matter.  I have been trying in my own way to get VA/MD/DC animal groups
to release ferrets to either Pet Pals (my rescue) or other ferret shelters
for years, and the Scotts have accomplished a LOT by getting DC to release
out of "state".  I have arrangements with Fairfax Co, VA (sometimes) and
Washington County, MD (just took in five 10 week old chocolate kits this
past weekend - anyone want some cute fuzzies?) and snitches in several other
shelters that won't release but I usually manage to "find" the owners....

Even if you can not adopt a fuzzy or send a donation, many shelters are happy
to receive baby blankets (I love to shop at yard sales for these), food and
litter donations, or just your time.  I am always looking for "runners" -
people who can run to an animal shelter and "claim" a lost fuzzy so it is not
put down.  I reimburse for any fees paid, but can't claim every lost ferret
or look really suspicious!

Contact your local shelter (if they are within two hours of you, they are
local) and see what help they might need that you CAN provide.

Pam Grant / Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets