From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:26:01 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Anne Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: diazoxide/study of sleep/england
>DIAZOXIDE:
>I posted more than a week ago but didn't receive any answer, so I will try

The diazoxide works by inhibiting the release of insulin from pancreatic
cells.  My understanding is that it works over a period of time and not
acutely.  I am at a loss why you are seeing immediate weakness unless the
ferret is having a reaction to something else in the medication.

>From:    "Alex R. Ruiz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help! Possible ECE in new baby!

No, cats do not get ECE.
Green diarrhea does not automatically equal ECE.  Other changes in the fert
s diet, environment, etc.  can cause loose stool, green stool, etc.  I would
question why the maggots though.  If the stool was in the box, consider the
maggots from a fly laying eggs and not from the ferret s intestinal tract.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: borax-killing fleas, dangerous?
>I have recently read about using borax (the cleaner) to kill the fleas by
>sprinkling it on the floor, and after several hours, or days, vacuuming it
>up thoroughly.  Is this too dangerous to try with ferrets since they are

Borax works by dessicating the flea eggs so they are not viable.  There are
non-toxic (usually silica based) alternatives available such FleaBuster
Powder.

>Date:    Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:27:29 CST6CDT
>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seedy stools and ECE

Peptobismol works by another mechanism.  The subsalicylate portion acts as a
local anti-inflammtory (aspirin is salicylic acid).  Kaopectate, imodium,
etc.  do not have this benefit.

ECE has very specific histopathological signs and they probably are not
distinguishable just on a normal macroscopic autopsy.  ECE is distinct from
canine coronavirus and I would suspect there is no cross-immunization from
the dog vaccine.  Dr.  Williams could probably be more informative here
since he has spent much time looking at the wee little viruses.

>From:    "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" ><[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question re: insulinoma Rx
>Virtually all of the discussion about the treatment of insulinoma focuses
>on corticosteroid treatment.

Although I do not have any information about streptozocin use in ferrets, I
do remember from Vet School this is one nasty drug.  It can only go
intravenous in a vein and can cause kidney failure.  Most humans on the drug
experience severe nausea and vomiting.  Close monitoring of blood parameters
is necessary.

>From:    JRA <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hind Quarters paralysis

Do not rule out the possbility of low blood sugar (due to an insulinoma) can
present exclusively as recurring rear limb weakness or paralysis.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.