From:
Pam Adey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:14:53 EDT
When crossing the border you will pass through the Agriculture Inspection
station.  If they stop you at all, they will probably just ask if you
have any fresh fruits, or vegetables.  Just say no.  Most likely they
will not stop you and just wave you on through when they see your Arizona
license plate.  If you have a California plate they will usually just
want to know how far east you went; to determine if you even need to be
asked about fruit.  If they ask you if you have any live animals, just
say no.  Of course have your ferrets' carrier covered up by a jacket or
something inconspicuous.

Once you are in the state, feel free to seek out a vet.  They won't
report you, but most don't have a lot of experience with ferrets.  So
call around until you find one or two in your area.  Please don't live
in fear of anyone discovering that you have ferrets.  Most people here
in California have no idea what a ferret is; much less what the law is
concerning them.  I've had people say "Aren't they illegal?" in a
questioning manner and I just say it is illegal to sell them and breed
them; but mine are not for sale and they have been fixed.  California
has misclassified them as a "wild animal" even though they have a two
thousand year history of domestication.  You cannot sell or breed wild
animals in the state of California without a permit.  Permits are only
issued to zoos and wildlife rescues.  This answer, while not entirely
true, satisfies most people.

Go to the Ferrets Anonymous web site and know your rights.  They also
have info.  of how to avoid the check points too.

Good luck and don't worry, they are looking for fruit, not ferrets.

Pam

[Moderator's note: The Ferrets Anonymous website, appropriately enough:
http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/  and they also have
http://www.ferretsanon.com/   with a different layout.

Based on some isolated incidents reported on the FML, I'd strongly
suggest caution at the checkpoints.  BIG]