From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 19:35:14 -0400
>From:    Natalie Cornish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Almost time for euthanasia?
>I'm thinking that it is almost time to help him across the rainbow bridge.
>Any thoughts on this?

I believe that you willl know in your heart when the time is right.

>...  She said that when it is time, a shot to the heart of the
>euthanasia-stuff is the easiest and least painful.  Is this true?

A shot in the heart can be painless with heavy sedation before the actual
final shot.  I can't imagine that going right into the heart without any
type of sedation would be the least painful method.  I've had two receive
their final injection in the heart.  They were heavily sedated beforehand
and there was no obvious reaction to the final shot.  Still, it was not
pleasant to witness and I would never allow that method again.

Easiest shouldn't even be in the equation.  I don't care what's easiest for
my vet, I care what's best and least painful for my ferret.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*