From:
Violette Malomay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:42:29 EST
Well, Chiquito had surgery yesterday and the blockage turned out to be a
huge furball (cat fur!!) His most favorite thing is to smooch up to our
cat (Persian) lick and kiss his ears and then jump on his back, grab onto
his fur and the cat takes of running.  Chiquito seems to think this is
pretty fun.  We have always given them Laxatone and they even have some
treats that are supposed to be hairball remedy but, I guess with this one
we are going to have to watch him really close when he decides to play
rodeo cowboy.  He is doing well.  Glad to be back home and wants out of
his cage to play with his brothers and sisters but, it's recoup time for
a while -- at least until stitches come out.  He will go back in the
morning for a follow up with his other vet and will set up a regiment
for him.

As for a remedy with biting ferrets: Chiquito was a biter, real bad, put
a hole in my husband lip a couple of times -- drew blood on both of us
several times.  We almost gave him back when I thought well, maybe
instead of getting upset with him as we had been and putting back in his
cage -- we would try something different.  Whenever he bit -- we would
tell him no strongly -- turn his back to us -- then proceed to love, kiss
him and talk softly to him.  After a few minutes we would put ferretvite
in the middle of our hand and let him lick it off.  It took about two
weeks but, his is now a very luvey, kissy guy.

Chiquito has taught us a lot about ferrets - I am so glad that this was a
furball and finally removed.  We will give him all the love and attention
he requires to heal and get back to his devilish ways again.

All of our ferrets have brought us so much happiness over the years and
we want to make sure they are around for as long as possible

Thoughts and prayer for all the sick ferrets and their persons/caregivers.
Thank you once again for the emails of support and suggestions

Vi, Michael and the brood of 6