From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 05:17:16 -0500
Well, here we go again.  A short list of people making statements to people
that don't really need them, while making statements that are too sweeping.

To be more precise, there are a few people posting on the FML about "those
terrible people that go and get ferrets, then want to get rid of them
because they didn't understand what it was like to have a ferret."  What
you few people don't seem to understand, is that those people aren't here
on the FML (well...for the most part, though there *may* be a few of them
here...but then, these people are trying to get an education, aren't they?
Isn't that why they are here?  And...if they are here to get an education
on the way to do stuff, why are we slapping them around?  Do you slap a
student around that doesn't know something, but is attending school in
order to learn?).  Most of the people that are too ignorant, or who were
misled, etc. about ferrets don't *want* to know anything.  They don't want
to take the time or effort to learn about ferrets.  If they did, they
wouldn't be trying to get rid of them!  Nothing we tell them...no amount of
information we provide them...will change the way they are.  They are
blind, deaf and uncaring.  They will still buy ferrets and abuse them, or
throw them away.  No one on this list is going to stop that.

Let's all stop trying to show everyone how angry we are and start providing
help to those that really need/want it.  Stop being so belligerent and
hurtful and opinionated about something that isn't the fault of anyone here
on the list.  If you want to try to change the world, start in your own
back yard (or on your own FML) and make things more educational and less
painful.  The people on this list want support, not wounds and burns.  If
you teach them and provide them with all the information they can handle,
then these same people can go out into the world and help to educate those
that they meet.  Eventually, when enough people share correct and detailed
information with everyone else, ferrets will be more appreciated and loved
by those that want them, and shunned and avoided by those that don't want
them.  That is the most effective method of changing the general
misinformation about ferrets.

Remember this before you go out on your high horse and assume that everyone
wants to hear how *you* think things should be: the majority of the
population has an I.Q. of about 100.  This is average.  This includes more
than 98% of the population.  These people tend to move according to the
opinions of the masses, not the individual.  A single nasty voice raised
in anger tends to be ignored.  Not only does it tend to be ignored, but
similar voices tend to get tuned out immediately, due to recognition of
the pattern.  The result?  No one learns anything.

However, when a large portion of the crowd starts to listen to the small
voices of praise and understanding and education, they tend to be willing
to hear...and to share.  When we bring the masses to us with kindness and
help, they tend to accept and spread the wealth.  Let's to a lot less chest
pounding and a lot more sharing and caring.

Todd and the (Hey...you gonna share those raisins?  Huh?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo
Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://users.success.net/toddl/