From:
Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:56:04 +0100
Hello again,
Well Monkey and Jitterbug are still adjusting to one another - Jitterbug
still seems a little depressed, but much better than before thanks to all
the wonderful advice I received.  A couple of days ago, however, I
discovered a new problem.  When playing with Monkey I noticed her butt was
all red and several pieces of litter were stuck to it.  So I cleaned her up,
(I actually had to use a tweezers to get one piece of litter that was stuck
halfway in), put a little polysporin on her and set her on her way.  But now
I started checking her butt every day and everyday the same problem.  The
idea of something small, chemical, and very absorbent stuck in her butt
really upset me and I was worried that her butt looked so red.  A while back
I remember there was a whole discussion on types of kitty litter, esp.  pine
pellets, which I didn't take too much notice of then, but now seemed like a
possible solution.  I visited my local pet store (in New York City) which
didn't have pine pellets, but had a litter called Litter Love which looked
like pellets, claimed to be all natural, and smelled like wood (not pine
though).  So in desperation I bought it and replaced all the kitty litter.
The pet store guy said he thought it was made of clay and pressed wood
(there are no ingredients on the bag).  I am wondering if any of you have
heard of or used this litter.  They also had pine SHAVINGS available, but I
thought I remembered something about them being bad for ferrets respiratory
system - is this true?  Would it be better to use pine shavings then clay
and wood pressed pellets?  Also my older ferret, Jitterbug, doesn't seem to
want to use the new litter.  Since she and Monkey share litterboxes I'm not
sure what to do.  I think Monkey's butt looks better since I started using
Litter Love (1 day now), but am wondering if she needs to be checked out for
this.  (she's about 7 1/2 weeks old now).  Thanks so much.

     Rebecca, Monkey and Jitterbug.