From:
Dan Eliot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:13:57 -0800
Hey FML folks,
You might remember recently that I posted about my FRIEND (not me) who was
interested in adopting a second ferret as a buddy to his existing female.
Well, he and his wife did, and here's what's happened so far (so he tells
me):

The new ferret arrived on Sunday.  He is a HUGE 10 month old male with a
beautiful disposition and playful spirit.  He was bathed, then introduced to
the family's current female ferret, who haden't seen another ferret since
she was a baby (over 5 years ago)!!

The introduction went very, very badly.

The existing female was cornered by the "curious young huge playful LARGE"
male and she began to scream bloody murder.  She almost went into shock
(literally), and didn't leave her owners arms for 30 minutes.  During that
time she shook constantly and didn't look at all happy or content.

As the week has continued, however, things have improved daily.  As of
yesterday, the two of them coexist in the same room and even play a bit,
though the female is not used to the "ferret style" play of the larger,
highly active male.  He has pinned her a few times and she doesn't yet know
how to deal with it.  The good news is that she more quickly recovers and
returns to play than she did those first days.

The female still exhibits odd behaviors, but for the most part, she is back
to her old playful self!  She is even showing signs of increased activity
due to the male's influence.  We are hopeful that the male will stay and
become part of the family.  As things are now, if progress continues, it
will happen :-)

Moral of this story:
If you bring a new Ferret into the household, be patient, understanding and
monitor the situation closely over a period of many days.  Don't give up
right away and don't be discouraged by initial interactions and
confrontations!  Let things develop safely at the animal's pace and you
might be rewarded with a new family member like w.... uh... *they* have
been!

Dan

*****      Dan Eliot:  Biology/Computer Teacher       *****
*****              El Dorado High School              *****