From:
Bob Rudich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:12:00 EDT
>Does the early neutering of ferrets cause the illnesses which seem to
>plague North American ferrets?

Welcome to the list, Sheila.  Apparently you have a source of information
that I and others have been seeking.  Where did you get data on the
illnesses plaguing our ferrets?  I've looked for such a document to see what
really is going on without success.  Or are you taking this from the stories
on the FML?  Ahn found in her name list that the average owner had 3+
ferrets, so I'll use that to set the universe of about 7000 ferrets
represented by this list.  Then there is the reporting bias that people with
sick ferrets are more likely to write than people with healthy ferrets.  I
don't see any plagues here.

Another question for you is since the Euro ferrets are so disease free, what
do they die of?  I earnestly want to know and wouldn't want the meaningless
answer of old (or very old) age.  If there is a difference that can be
documented, you would contribute a lot to helping us figure out what factors
might be at play.  So, maybe you can help us answer the very questions you
raise.

>However, I would like to touch on one thing you mentioned -
>early release of kits for sale and trauma to the mother.
   [SNIP]  (sounds like a set up for the Spanish Inquisition sketch)
>this is not fair to the jill, get no one seems to think about her and what
>she's going through ... [SNIP] but until you've raised a litter of kits and
>watched the jill with them, you really have no idea.

Deb, since you would be reluctant to share your young kits with me, how
about sharing this knowledge?   I'm a psychologist and very interested in
behavior.  Just what do/did you observe to lead you to this conclusion?

What does a jill do if separated from her kits at say 6 weeks?  If you have
valid observations, you'll not only convince me of the errors in my ways,
but I'd help you publish this so that others can benefit.

>To aid in litter training, I wanted to confine them somewhat (a "room" is a
>big place for a baby ferret), so our shelter director gave me her playpen!
>This works great!  It's big enough to put a litter pan in there along with
>some toys, a tunnel tube, a carpeted T-P, and they have plenty of room to
>run around and play.  This is *much better* than giving them full range of

Here is another point I'd like to discuss with you.  You worry about weaning
trauma.  My interest is that an enriched environment spurs greater mental
development.  You make a point for me.  You have to confine your kits for
your convenience.  At the same age or younger, mine are roaming my house,
learning to use the terrain to help them in battle, climbing louver doors
after watching older ones show them the trick, and interacting with us
constantly.  The list goes on too.  I see no signs of any weaning trauma,
however I do see energetic, inquisitive ferrets learning from new
experiences each day and growing fit with the extensive exercise.  Since we
can concentrate on them, these are benefits we can give that a breeder
can't.  Now a playpen does allow some play space, but limited in novelty and
diversity.

Seems to be conflicting benefits here.  In my judgment, the mental
development benefit outweighs any of this weaning trauma which, not being a
breeder, I'm unable to detect.   I've had many kits way younger than you'd
sell.  I've never seen any dysfunction in them.   They all are friendly,
intelligent, active older ferrets now.   You mention prolapsed rectums and
gassy stomachs, ephemeral results that could be brought on by many things.
While you are certainly free to do with your kits as you see best, I see no
problems with the practices of MF or PV in this regard.  Moreover, I'm glad
I have the choice to get young kits from them.  Shame on you for condemning
others based on your opinions.  You can disagree with others, but unless you
have proof, don't state your practices as the one to follow if honor is to
be maintained.  I had a lot of respect for your opinions, even when you ran
counter to my own.  Becoming dogmatic about them does not become you.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \