From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:49:06 -0500
Since there has been so much discussion lately about ferret names I had to
put in my two cents worth.

I am very careful with the ones I name, making sure it is a fitting name
that the ferret likes also.  I now have 2 ferret' who came with names, they
like them and answer to them so they have stayed unchanged.  I think names
are very important, the illiteration as well as the meaning.  I have a huge
baby name book I use and am known to pour over it for several days before
choosing a name.

When I got the last four, it was just before Mo' Bob visited last in
Houston.  He took one look at one of them and said he should be named Ranger
Rick, after the character on the Yogi Bear cartoons.  Now, I have no idea
what this is and don't like the name anyway, think its too silly.  A couple
of weeks later, yes he went unnamed that long, my niece from St Louis was
visiting, picked up same ferret and pronounced his name should be Rick.  I
hadn't told her about Bob calling him that.  So I figured this ferret's name
had to be Rick.  I am a great believer in synchronisity.

Some names just seem right, others I have to work at finding an appropriate
one.  I watch the personality of the animal, and if one I choose they don't
like, I try again.  Maybe that is why all mine know their names and will
come to them.  I think they appreciate the respect I show them by the
trouble I go to.

So, just for everyone's info, here is a complete list of my animals.

Stan, Ollie, Miss Stella, George, Maxwell, Miss Esmerelda (she's in Ferrets
USA), Owen, Angus, Miss Delilah, Miss Maisie, Myrna Loy, Miss Sadie, Sampson
(3-footed wonder in Ferrets USA), Conan the Toebiter (earned his name the
first night), Ranger Rick, Henry, Ready Freddy, Nicky, and Pookie Bear.

My three cats are Neko, Kane, and Connor.

Feel free to use any names if you and your baby likes them. And yes, I know
the meaning of them all too even though in some cases it was a mute point.

And yes I do like odd names.  In fact at this moment, I am answering to
several and some I can even list!!

Mo' Maggie, Margaret Mead, Maggie Mae, Margaret Marie Merchant Zick and the
infamous 19, all of whom miss greatly

Gwynnedd and Sinbad (canines) and
Lancelot and Sherlock (felines) still in Houston