From:
"edman (Ed Atlee)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 16:54:24 EDT
Regarding the recent debate over Totally Ferret's prices; I think we need to
be sure that we are comparing apples to apples here.  For *any* kind of pet
food that I have seen, price varies greatly with quantity purchased.  Yes,
for those like mysef with "only" two fuzzies, storage can be a problem, but
that's what tupperware, refrigerators, and, in the winter, unheated storage
spaces were made for.  The point being that around here, the last 20-lb.
bag of Totally Ferret was around $31.75, or a little more than $1.50/lb.  A
7-lb carton of Marshall's ran something like $19.95, closer to $3/lb.  And a
3-lb.  or so bag of Kay-Tee was around $8.00.  So no, I don't think TF is
overpriced.  And I have to check this, but I think they use natural
preservatives, as opposed to "no preservatives at all", which I think was a
source of concern.

I also consider other factors when choosing food.  First, is it good for my
ferret?  I think TF is one of the best.  Second, do I want to support these
people?  This is one of the biggest reasons I will be phasing out
Marshall's; I do not approve of their practices, and I also worry about
buyinganyone who doesn't see the effects of diet in old age.  Also, I've
heard rumors about them being cited again for violations; I have not posted
on that because I haven't been able to confirm them and whatever I think of
their practices, that is unfair, so I repeat: these are only rumors!  If
anyone can confirm them, I'd appreciate hearing from you.  Yes, Marshall's
has done a lot to increase public awareness of ferrets, and yes, I'm sure
they put a lot into research, etc, but no, I still do not condone their
practices.  (And yes, one of my ferrets is a store-bought MF sprite, and she
is the love of my life).  But I digress.  Third, do these people support us?
Iam's is a great food and I have nothing against using it as ferret food,
but for myself, I'd rather spend the money on 8-in-1, TF, Kay-Tee (though I
think the first two are better), etc., because they have spent the money and
effort to put out a product for ferrets.  I'm not delusional, businesses
exist to make money, and new products are usually not introduced out of
altruism, but by that very argument, it behooves me to support quality
ferret products so they do not disappear.

Okay, this is way longer than I intended, so finally, you've heard it before
and you're going to hear it again - anyone who can afford it, support those
shelters - Dayna, Chere, Kelleen, even the ones you may not have heard
mentioned in relation to financial problems - some people can afford it
better than others, but sheltering is one of the few businesses that does
*not* exist to make money.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
flames directed to /dev/null, YMMV, my employer doesn't know or care,
yada, yada, yada...

Ed Atlee
starring, Ed, Kim, FLO Agents Goose and Anastasia, special guest star Maggie
the Lab