From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:26:50 -0500
I 'think' we are not of the norm.  But that isn't surprising now is it.

When Pumkin and Rusty were with us, they were the gentle leaders of
the group.  Now that they are gone there isn't one.  I've watched them
closely and as far as I can tell the group is equal in stature.  I love
seeing them cuddled in the quilts, piled in hammocks, snuggled in beds,
and playing together.  When one is feeling ill, others snuggle with them.
When they wake up it's common to see 2 in a litter box at one time.  They
share food dishes and when there are too many at one dish, I'll see some
squeeze in, take a mouth full and move a short distance way to happily
munch.  The others at the bowls always allow one more mouth to partake.
And if there are too many heads in the way, a little one will gently move
them aside by pushing with their head.  I've never seen a squabble over
the food dishes, well except for very young kits that growl and spit and
jump when you touch them (I can't help myself, it is just so incredibly
cute) while they are eating a special treat.  :-)

This isn't to say that we don't have a slight scuffle now and again but
it doesn't appear to be territorial or stature related, more of someone
got a little rough when playing or someone doesn't want to play at the
time.

Someone suggested that they view me as the gentle leader and since I do
have some ferret tendencies.... ;-)

But as I said, we are not of the norm. I like to think that there is
magick, along with the love and warmth, in our home. ;-)

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services
http://www.ferretfamilyservices.org