From:
Yael Dragwyla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 15 May 1994 14:57:56 -0400
My ferrets, a mated (though fixed) pair, are doing strange things -- anybody
have a comment?
   Turns out my little female ferret, Jessie, is a true daughter of Eve -- or
maybe Delilah, as the case may be.  Woke up yesterday morning to find the big
male, Frank, throwing himself at every possible part of the inside of their
cage, trying to bash his way through by plain, old, simple, brute force,
getting more excited, upset, tired, and -- probably -- sore by the second as
he did so.  I had recently found he was able to open the locked cage door by
forcing it open at one side and squeezing out that way.  This was an
extension of it, I guess.  He was running up and down the stairs between the
two floors of the cage, pulling the towels I put down upstairs for them to
lie on up and down the stairs with him.  He even ran into the wooden
nesting-box at one point, and began repeatedly rising up and bashing his
shoulders and the back of his head against the underside of the nesting-box
lid, which was locked.  Jessie, who is half his size, meanwhile lay
contentedly on _her_ thick towels upstairs, batting her eyelashes at him,
something suspiciously like a smile curling the corners of her mouth,
watching him try to bash his way out of the cage, clearly telling him in
weasel, "Oh, darling -- did anyone ever tell you what _gorgeous_ shoulders
you have?  I just _love_ to watch you -- you're so _strong_!"  I couldn't
help laughing out loud -- I nearly fell on the floor laughing, her incitement
to riot was so clear, her expression so artfully smug!  The moment I did,
Frank stopped his mad campaign against the cage and glared up at me, as if to
say, "Well -- _do_ something about this!  This is _your_ fault!"  At that, I
laughed even harder -- it wasn't possible _not_ to!  He thereupon _huffed!_
into the nesting-box and wouldn't come out for anything!  When I had finally
stopped laughing too hard to be able to, I unlocked their cage and let them
out.  I got Frank out of the nesting-box, checked him over -- he wasn't hurt,
except for his feelings.  But in future, what can I do to prevent possible
problems because of this?