From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 21:09:32 -0400
I knew from reading the FML that ferrets are fond of soap.  I was still
caught off guard this weekend when my 7 1/2 mos. old male found his first
bar of soap.  I put Brae on top of the washer/dryer while I was doing
laundry.  He was checking out the items on top of the dryer and discovered
the bar of Fels-Naptha (a bar soap for removing laundry stains).  I quickly
reached to remove the soap from his reach, but Brae was faster.  Before I
knew it, he had latched onto the bar of soap, hissing and breathing heavily.
When I tried to pull the bar away, he hissed even louder, trying to pull it
away from me.  I touched him to scruff him, and he hissed and breathed even
worse!  For the first time I was afraid he might bite me.  I did manage to
scruff him, tentatively reached into his mouth and separated his jaws.  That
bar of soap now has four deep gashes in it!!

Brae often "yawns" when I'm holding him or trying to cuddle him.  I'm sure
it's a sign of irritation or impatience, but am not sure.  Can anyone
explain this?

Brae is an only ferret; we've had him for 5 1/2 mos. and he hasn't been
around any other ferrets in that time.  I suspect he may be lonely, because
it seems like he spends an awful lot of time sleeping.  He often sleeps
under (actually, inside) the couch, and will sleep for hours in there,
sometimes coming out only to relieve himself and go back to sleep.  We spend
time with him every day, but I'm sure many days we have not spent the time
with him we should.  Do single ferrets get lonely?  He is in his cage
during the day while we are at work/school, and let him out until bedtime.
Occasionally, I leave him out of his cage at night, too.  Should we get
another ferret to keep him company, or is that necessary?  Maybe if he had
more toys

Sorry this has gotten a little long-winded -- appreciate any responses.
You can respond directly to the FML - I read it every day; it's my "daily
vitamin"!!!     : - )

Deb

PS: Someone had a suggestion that ferret stories be made into a book and
called "Duck Soup for the Ferret Lovers' Soul" and proceeds go to shelters -
I think it's an excellent idea!