From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:25:18 -0600
Since most maintenance meds are given once or twice a day, I have 2
"soup & meds" times - 9am & 9pm.  These are times that are convenient
for me.  I try to hit these times give or take an hour, depending on
whatever's going on in the household.  9am gives me time for breakfast,
coffee (although I peek in on the ferrets before heading to the kitchen)
and 9pm is after supper, with time to tuck everyone in bed before I go
to bed myself.

Morning "soup & med" time here:
http://www.ferrets1st.com/images/maintenance/lazy_shelter/morning_soup.jpg

Those who get meds have a personalized bowl.  I put the meds in the
little bowls (each bowl is named) and use the soufflE bowl as a tray to
carry a microwave warmed, 1 qt. plastic jar & the stacked med bowls from
the kitchen.  I put only a small amount of soup in individual med bowls.
Once a ferret has finished his/her med bowl, they move to the "community"
bowl for more... this has to be supervised because they will volunteer to
help clean the med bowl beside their own.  This particular room has 10
ferrets that will suck up 1 quart of kibble soup in about 15 minutes.  (I
make up a week's supply of soup at a time.)

My take on giving meds -- as stress free as possible.  If it can be
hidden in a treat, wonderful.  So, I try to make the treat something
healthy as well.  Ferretone is a healthy treat.  Its disadvantages are
that too much can cause diarrhea and that oil can prevent or inhibit the
absorption of some medications.  My "treat" of choice is kibble soup.
It's just their regular kibble softened with water then blended with
more water to a soup consistency.  I give this soup twice a day to all
ferrets, not just the ones who get meds.  This gives me a head start.
When they do eventually get sick, I've got a healthy treat they're
familiar with and won't be finicky about eating, and I don't have to
worry that the "treat" might replace a needed meal.

To get "the rest of the story" (the complete supportive care hows & whys
& administering meds) click here:
http://www.ferrets1st.com/articles/Feeding.htm

And the photo guide to force feeding is here:
http://www.ferrets1st.com/articles/Feeding.htm

With maintenance meds the most important thing to remember is:

Keep it simple.

You're going to doing this for months or hopefully years.  You need a
meds routine that fits easily into your normal daily routine.  Save the
fancy stuff and standing on your head for things you're not going to
have to do once or twice a day, everyday.

Debi Christy
www.ferrets1st.com
Ferrets First Foster Home