From:
"Lindy N. Garner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:38:41 -0700
Hi everyone, I am just now getting a chance to introduce the Canadian
Silver-Mitt male that I 'rescued' from Petland.  My SO required him getting
to name the new guy as a condition of getting him.  drum role
please.......Sewall is this ferret's name, named after the esteemed
geneticist, Sewall Wright.  Anyway, it is a very dignified name for a very
undignified ferret.  I mean he peed on the coffee table for xst sakes!!!
Yes, I know, I was laughing while cleaning it up.  This guy is so much
larger than the girls (remember Lisa and Idgie) and goes tearing ass around
the house at full speed for AT LEAST two hours at a time.  I am sure he
would keep going but I am always ready for him to take a break by then.  He
jumps at you from wherever and from whatever height he is--we are talking
FEARLESS.  I am getting some great pleasure from him taking a profound
interest in biting my SO's toes and generally tormenting him whenever he
can---hmmm, kinda like my SO does me!!!  It is great!:) He just cracks me up
because he is always war dancing in front of you and dooks continuously.
You can even give him a treat and off he goes bouncing and throwing his head
all over the place regardless of how hard it smacks against table legs,
chair legs, books...

The only problem is that he still hasn't learned how not to play so rough
with the girls.  Idgie (remember the sickly one that will actually have the
Adrenal Panel done tomorrow) absolutely LOVES to play with Sewall, he just
is so rough that she starts squeaking often.  I basically have to follow
them around the entire time they are both out to mediate their interactions.
It is great when they both get to playing in the tubes and one will go half
way in and wag their tail like crazy.  Sewall has only been neutered for two
weeks now, so I will be extremely happy with that testosterone comes down
more.  Lisa can pretty much hold her own, but even she squeaks at times.  I
can't trust them all three to sleep together yet, because of him tormenting
Idgie.  Idgie needs her rest so she has been sleeping in the little cage
during the day and then I put him in there late at night.  That way each one
gets a sleeping buddy at some point in time.

Sewall does torment the cats.  Aldo despises him and tries to basically
mutilate him.  So Aldo gets stuck in the bedroom every time Sewall gets out.
Sewall is such an idiot though, because he continues to run up to Aldo's
face even when the cat his hisssing, scratching, and running away.  Josh the
cat will kind of play with him but Sewall chomped on his tail and now Josh
is like get away from me you big-ole beady eyed thing.  All in all, Sewall
is a monster that never stops (btw 14 weeks old) so I have questioned myself
in getting him, but , well, what can I say now, I made my bed, now I have to
let Sewall tear it up and pee in it!! :)
Take care everyone,

Lindy

 Lindy N. Garner
 Montana Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit
 Univ. of Montana, Dept. Organismal Biol. & Ecol.
 Missoula, MT  59812
 w-406/243-5372; fax-406/243-6064

 "Always behave like a duck, remain calm and unruffled
 on the surface, but paddle like heck underneath" -unknown