From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:11:27 -0400
We are thinking about adding to the family.  No, not that way!  You think
we're nuts?  Sheesh!  No, we wanna get a dog.  Specifically, an Old English
Mastiff.  I'd welcome any info you can give me.  Dog owners keep insisting
that their pet will eat mine alive.  Then the dogs nearly wet their pants
trying to get away when I introduce them.  Well, anyway, I'm officially
taking tips, because I usually don't listen much during those debates.  I am
ESPECIALLY interested in advice involving Old English Mastiffs (or a related
breed).  I don't think they have any *excessive* ferret killing tendencies,
but they do weigh in at around 200 lbs as adults, so it might be kinda hard
to control 'em if they decide to lunge.  I can't think of any other
difficulties.

So, how did you safely habituate your mustelids and your canids?  Better cc:
to my email, as I don't know if BIG will let me rejoin the list.  Oh, and
I'm still working on that ecsema survey (I think I'm mispelling it again).
So far, not very many of us are affected, but I'll post the results
nonetheless.

-Catherine (Having a bad outbreak of excszema right now)

[Moderator's note: Catherine's mail was bouncing for a week or so, thus
she was removed.  I have her new email address now... of course she can
rejoin!  :-)   BIG]