From:
Austin Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 20:10:24 CDT
HI all yall ferret ppl!!!!

I have been on the list a few weeks but this is my first post so bear
with me!

OK I have one female ferret.  I got her because she was brought in to the
Pet Store my family owns, the owner could not keep her any more because she
was allergic ( so she said) Sounded like a typical case to me.  Anyways my
aunt called me and told me about her and I went and saw her.  Needless to
say she was an abuse case....she had a cage about 3 ft long and 1 foot wide,
wire, TOTALLY empty!! not a toy or box or anything!  One cup taped to the
wall and the bottle.  I was warned not to take her out cause she was vicous!
But I ignored everyone and went in, LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!  She had taken a
chunk out of every one else at the shop and 1 customer!  But not me..I guess
casue they where all adults and I am a teen, but she took right to me, not
one nip, It amazed everyone else.  Besides the bad cage, attitude she was
horribaly under weight!!!  The old owner sent a bag of all her stuff and she
was on "8 in 1" food and had a new bottle of feretone.  Poor baby was all
bones nothing else.  I took her home on the idea I was gonna keep her and
make her better and find her a home.  I kept my fingers crossed as she met
mom!  My mom imeditely wanted her,,,the ferret gave her one of thoes sad
looks we all know about.  I manged to find some cat food at the store with
35 % fat!!!  Boy she loves it!  and has gained 2 pds in about a month and a
half.  I also went out and bought her a 3 story cage and she was amazed, the
poor baby had never played!!!  I just let her loose in a room and she went
nuts!!  My parents also informed me we can keep her...she is a Christmas
present!!!!

2 months later, pounds fatter, and a whole new world of toys and a cage she
is aperfect healthy baby!  With an attitude!!  She is VERY protective of
me...does not like anyone or anything near me,,,I am HERS!  But I still have
a few problems....she likes to bite!!!  I am having a hard time convincing
my parents when she runs after there heels that they are love bites!  It
worked at first!  She is also after me now too!  I know ferrets nip but how
do I rid her of this habbit?!  Keep in mind she was abused and sulks if I
even raise my voice to her.

Also you have me scared to death!!!!!!!  All I am seeing is stories about
sick ferrets!!!  I am so scared!  How do I keep her from getting sick and
how do I help her if she does?!

ANY info on nipping and anything else is very appreicated!!!!!  PLEASE MAIL
ME AT : [log in to unmask]

THANKS!!!    ****** MERRY CHRISTMAS ******

 Austin Owens
  And   CJ (  WHAT?! I didnt mean to draw blood!)