From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:15:53 -0500
Some quick (I hope.) notes:

I found out a weird thing yesterday: there are people who actually think
that Modern Ferret is a big business with loads of employee rather than one
run by a couple who happen to be exceptionally dedicated ferret owners who
ACTUALLY MAKE SURE THAT WHAT THEY PUBLISH IS ACCURATE (as opposed to some
we could all mention -- ahem).  The only possible reasons I can think of
for this misconception are: there are some people who don't realize how
hard some folks work, or that Mary and Eric are just doing too good a job.
CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT magazine!!!

The bit about colon cancer was in hypotheses in relation to HUMAN cancers --
just was using it as an illustration of fats slowing digestion, that's all.

Also, a person CAN'T assume that what's one way in humans is the same way
in ferrets.  Polyunsaturated fats vs. saturated fats vs. monosaturated fats
is an example.  There are DOCUMENTED health problems of vitamin E depletion
in ferrets which get too much polyunsaturated fat.  DO NOT take my word for
it; instead check out pages 166-7 of the second edition of James Fox's
_Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_ (a veterinary text -- not something
done by some hack) and read the section on Nutritional Steatitis (Yellow
Fat Disease) in which it mentions that this disease has been described in
ferrets which were fed a high level of dietary polyunsaturated fat, or of
oily marine fish, or a diet too low in vitamin E.  The section points out
that "Polyunsaturated fats are highly susceptible to oxidation within the
food source as well as within the host's tissue, and vitamin E is a
critical nutritional component in protecting tissue lipids from oxidative
injury."  In the following quote to give a feel for amounts "PUFA" =
"polyunsaturated fatty acids":  "In an outbreak of steatitis ... the PUFA
concentration in the ferrets' diet... (7.7%) was considered excessive..."
It goes on to point out that young ferrets are more susceptible to the
disease and that careful dietary management is especially important for
kits, and adds that "The toxic effects of PUFA are prevented or modified by
vitamin E..." so the added vitamin content is important, but it also points
out that in the outbreak mentioned above "a daily vitamin E intake of 13 mg
per animal did NOT protect the ferret"  (emphasis mine).

In what happens it mentions:  " kits found dead or affected kits are
depressed, cry out when handled, and are reluctant to move...have diffuse
swellings under the skin and prominent subcutaneous lumps in the inguinal
areas" and other notes specifically for vets in relation to blood tests
changes, that the fat under the skin and in the abdomin becomes
yellow-brown and coarse, and that affected animals need injected vitamin E
treatments with it also added to food.

The flax seed oil bottle I read lists the total fat as 14 g, with 3 g being
monosaturated oil, 1 g being saturated oil, and a whopping 10 g being
polyunsaturated, so I guess whether or not you should give it depends on
amounts and how much vitamin E you are adding in addition to offset it. I
sure would not give it, and I especially would NEVER give it to a kit or to
one with compromised health.

His references for the section are in the back of that chapter: #s 57, 67,
68, 69, and given my lack of time right now I am NOT going to copy them
down for you but you can look them up on your own.

Sukie