From:
Lisaferets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:32:56 EST
>We think the reactions have something to do with stress.  Distemper
>vaccinations are certainly important but perhaps you might consider a
>quarrantine period where you keep a newcomer seperate from your other
>ferrets for a while.  There is Bob's supposition that adrenal problems
>might also have some connection to the stress from a shelter (or similar)
>situation.  After the ferret has at least a few days to get accustomed to
>the place you can give a vaccination.  You are gambling either way you
>choose to go on this.

Bill - perhaps this wasn't made clear on my part -- The ferret was turned
in on a Saturday afternoon - most vets in my area close by noon, or at the
latest, 2 pm.  The shelter always keeps new turn-ins separate from the rest
for a least 10 days.

They were turned in with a cage and bedding and at no time during the
weekend did either (they were turned in as a pair) exhibit any abnormal or
stressful behavior.  I verified with the vet that previously treated them
that one of the ferrets was almost 2 years overdue for a distemper shot (due
date was Aug 1996), and since both were happy and healthy boys, the earliest
I could give the shot was Monday afternoon.  I will not vaccinate a sick
ferret, that is the only time I will postpone a distemper vaccination,
except I will only do it while a vet clinic is open.

As far as stress goes, he was in a cage with a familiar cagemate, cage and
bedding.  I am sure he was under some stress, but I doubt it was anything
that attributed to the reaction.  We didn't even observe one wierd poop!
The vet that treated him for the reaction knew the history of the ferret,
including the fact he had just been turned in on Saturday, and never
mentioned the possibility that the close time frame and resulting stress
could have caused it.  Vaccination within days of turn-in on unknown history
ferrets has been going on here for some time without a previous reaction.

The only other observed distemper reaction was in a one of a pair of ferrets
that had been in the shelter for a couple of weeks and her distemper was due
while she was here.  In that case (I looked back through the records), both
ferrets needed distemper vaccinations and received them on the same day -
one reacted, one did not.

We also vaccinate using a distraction, a plate of ferretone - he never felt
it, I'm sure.  I vaccinate on overdue ferrets ASAP - I want them protected
against distemper as quickly as possible.  Its an ugly disease, and I don't
want to take any chances.

Just for additional information, I gave two shots on Monday, and there were
no reactions in the second ferret.  Go figure - When I spoke with the vet at
United, he said they are still trying to understand why some ferrets react.

As a footnote to that, for any that are interested, United Vaccine also can
provide Aleutian's disease blood testing for a small fee (he said about
15.00).

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"