From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:26:06 -0400
>From:    Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: re lupron dosage and prices
>
>We are getting our lupron through an on-line Canadian Pharmacy for
>$390.00.  This is for the one month, 7.5mg Lupron depot kit.  This
>gives us 75 100 mcg doses, or 36 200mcg, (which is what we are
>giving).  when you mix it, you must draw it up immediately, and
>freeze.  It will keep indefinitely frozen.  If you have one ferret ,
>this is a good 3 years worth

There is some question as to how long Lupron will remain effective when
stored in a standard freezer.  Since the standard home freezer is not
capable of -80f, the recommended minimum storage temperature, vet
opinions range from 1-6 months of "shelf" life once mixed and frozen this
way.  Plus, most modern home refrigerator freezers are "frost free" and
this is achieved by simply periodically cycling to a warmer temperature.
This doesn't affect big hunks of frozen meat, but it could be a problem
for a syringe containing a very tiny amount of liquid that must remain
frozen solid at all times.

If you only have one ferret, and you're going to buy this for him or her,
be aware of this possibility.  I don't agree that you can count on having
three years worth.  Otherwise, this sounds like it may be a good way to
go if you have more than a couple ferrets on Lupron.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*