From:
Melissa Pelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:43:45 -0500
I have a ferret with not only a broken fang, but her front row of teeth
are gone.  The vet says that it it okay and she broke her fang while
trying to bend the bars of her metal cage.  (The cage wins everytime.)
I adopted her from a shelter in Maine about two years ago, and her teeth
have been fine.

As for shelters, I would like to thank every single shelter out there for
all their hard work that they do every single day.  I got my first ferret
from a pet store.  I was new at ferrets and didn't know any better.  My
second ferret (the one with the broken fang) I adopted from shelter that
was also her home.  My little Daizy had been overlooked by others due to
the fact that she is deaf as a doornail.  I didn't care.  She is now
apart of the family.  And about a year ago, ferret math hit and I knew I
had to get another ferret from a shelter.  I wanted to adopt a ferret
that needed help.  A normal animal shelter was dumped 14 ferret at one
time.  I knew that one of those ferrets would be a perfect addition to my
family.  That is how I got Sasha.  They haven't yet fully intergrated
themselves, but I am willing to wait.  My two shelter babies are happy
and healthy.

I just wanted to let the shelters out there know that there can be happy
endings.  That the work that you do is good and not to give up.  As long
as you are helping ferrets to live a better life, no matter what the age
or health, it is worth it.

I am just looking at my kids, so much at peace while they are sleeping.
It just warms my heart.  That's what ferrets do; they warm your heart.

Melissa, along with Kooto, Daizy and Sasha, the biggest heart warmers of
all