From:
Robert Ramellini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:07:32 PDT
Several people have asked about building cages recently, since i just
finished one that is 48" H x 48" L x 28" W and I thought these tips might
help.

1. Wire can be found in the Northeast at Agway stores.  It can be found at
most feed store in other parts of the country.  1" x 2" galvanized after
weld wire run about $80.00 for a 4' x 50' roll.  This is plenty and you
might want to split the cost between 2 people.

2. Tools required include a dremel tool for cutting wire and grinding
sharp edges,hog or c-ring pliers, and various other pliers.  Heavy-duty
hog ring pliers can be bought at NAPA for about $30.  Get the angled tip
ones because they work better in tight corners.

3. Latches, platic edging, and c-lips can be ordered from Martin's cages
for a minimal prices.

4. A trick that I came up with is to cut plexiglass(bought at Home Depot)
to fit the wire floors.  Then hot glue linoleum to it for easy cleaning and
a nice look.  Seal the edges with the glue so the ferrets can't lift it or
chew on it.

5. Finally use rubber backed carpet runners for ladders.

any questions can be e-mailed to me directly

Rob Ramellini
Trustee
Ferret Hollow Ferret Shelter
and my 12 spoiled fuzzbutts