From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:12:42 -0400
>From:    "David C. Bonesteel" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: adrenal questions, flat ferret
>I have two questions.  One, my vet said if the right adrenal is the one
>that is affected he could remove part of the vena cava with the adrenal
>gland.  I was wondering what people's experience with that type of
>procedure is.  I am a little apprehensive about that even though the vet
>said there is a low mortality rate.

I believe that type of procedure requires microsurgical equipment and a vet
that has had some experience with that type of surgery.  Ligation of the
vena cava seems to be the usual procedure when the vein is totally occluded
by the tumor.  But if he/she is able to perform the former and the vein
isn't totally occluded, then that method is an option.  Personally, I'd
want to know how many times the vet has done this.

As for post-surgical care... Since you have two weeks before surgery, I
would start now to get her thinking that chicken baby food is a treat.
Then if you have to hand feed her for the first day or two following
surgery, it won't be such a battle.  Some do eat their regular food right
after surgery, but many don't feel well enough to do so.  Also, though it
may appear that she wants to get out and explore soon after surgery, I
recommend keeping her confined for the first week following surgery.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Shelter web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc