Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:52:59 -0400
Just a quick update on the status of the ferret who was found wandering
in Jamaica Plains, MA.  The person, who found the ferret, contacted the
MaFF Hotline on Sunday afternoon.  They reported finding a ferret, but
that they couldn't keep it at their house due to owning several hunting
dogs.  The Hotline Coordinator contacted me late Sunday afternoon and
asked if the person could bring the ferret to me.  She then called back
the person and he said that he had taken the ferret to Angell MSPCA.
When he called to tell them that MaFF could take the ferret, they said
they could not release it for 2 days.  After that he could come back and
get the ferret and take it to MaFF's shelter.  Our Hotline Coordinator
called Angell MSPCA Sunday night and spoke with someone in charge and
told them that we would be happy to take the ferret after the 2-day
waiting period and that the man who turned in the ferret would be
transporting it to our shelter.  This all happened before 8PM on Sunday.
The person in charge at Angell MSPCA also mentioned that they have two
young ferrets there and would we be able to take them.  We explained to
them that we would have to put them on our "wait list", but would be
happy to take them as soon as we have space available, unless there was
a risk of them being euthanized.  They said the ferrets are both young
and healthy and that they would be happy to hold them until we can pick
them up.

I just received a call from the man who found this ferret, now named
Charlie, and he is delivering the ferret to me this afternoon.

If anyone on this list is from Massachusetts (or surrounding areas),
please don't hesitate to call the MaFF Hotline (781-224-1098) if you find
a ferret or know of a ferret at risk.  Our Hotline is manned 24/7 by one
of our dedicated members and if she is unavailable, there is a cellphone
number you can call as a backup.  We are very proud to have a "warm body"
to answer all calls that come in and have a strict policy of returning
any unanswered call as soon as possible.  The Hotline is the fastest and
easiest way to reach us during any weekend.  This will help us to get
help to the ferret quicker and will prevent any mis-communication on the
status of the ferret.

I want to thank everyone for their concern over this little wanderer.
It's just too bad that Charlie's family wasn't as concerned, otherwise we
would have heard from them by now!

Phyllis