From:
Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:21:49 -0600
The following post is a professional letter written by Dr. Leo Gates in the
San Antonio, TX area.  The audience for this letter is other vets.  There is
some specific vet jargon in it.  I have had this for a while but I didn't
post it because I wanted to get Dr. Gates permission before posting this.
I spoke to his office today and was given his permission so that is why I
am now posting it.

Dr. Gates spoke about ECE and this information while at the Small Animal Vet
Conference in Florida last year.  He has successfully treated over 1000
ferrets with ECE symptoms.  After doing fecal spears and other tests they
were determined to be most likely suffering from ECE.  The dexamethizone
that is spoken about has SAVE SAMMY'S LIFE!  I had been tube feeding Sammy
for almost 1 and 1/2 months before finding Dr. Gates and getting Sammy
started on dexamethizone.  Within 36 hours after started on the meds he
started eating again on his own!  I have no doubt that this protocol SAVED
Sammy's Life!

In the past, Dr. Gates has mentioned that he would be happy to discuss his
research on ECE with anyone.  He is also available for consultation by other
vets.

PLEASE print this out and take it to your vet.  I have heard so much about
people that took their ferrets to their vets to find out that the vet had
never heard of ECE and did not know how to treat it.  This is not the only
way to get ferrets over ECE BUT it is a VERY successful way.

If you chose to call and discuss this information with Dr. Gates, please be
very professional and courteous.  We NEED vets like him and so please treat
him with respect.  He is willing to share his research with us because his
goal is to help ferrets.  That is one goal that I think we all share!

On a personal note:  During the time that Sammy was sick and not eating, I
was giving 20 cc of Pedialyte every 2 hours.  (yes, after a while I was a
wreck.)  Because of this I only had to have Sammy receive sub-Q fluids
twice.  Since I was able to get Sammy to take this, I was able to keep him
hydrated.  If you are not able to spend that much time with your ferret
(because of work, etc.) then having him hospitalize (like suggested) is a
great idea.  With ECE they MUST have lots of fluids.  They can not go 8
hours without fluids while you go to work.  Dehydration is one of the main
reasons ECE kills.

Jason, Sammy, Doris, and Buddy
ICQ # 7528859 (Sammy's Dad)
ICQ - www.icq.com