From:
Melissa Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:13:18 -0400
Today we had to make one of the hardest decisions we have had to make yet.
We adopted a beautiful albino female named Sweet Pea about 3 mon ago.
Since the day of the adoption we have fought with adrenal tumors.  Last
week she had a bad case of dehydration.  Today the same thing happened
to her.

I took her back to the vet.  He examined her and is almost certain that it
was a stroke.  He said that there may be recovery, but she would never be
the same.

We tossed all the ideas around.  What to do?  So, I knew that she had the
answer in her.  We asked to be with Sweets before making any decisions.
I took one look into her eyes and knew that she was gone.  Her heart was
beating and she was breathing, her spirit was gone.

This little girl has been through so much.  After weighing the options,
recovery and the eyes we decided to help her to the bridge.  She took a
huge piece of my heart when they took her away.  The house is so quiet and
lonely feeling.  The other two ferrets, one of which was very bonded, are
quiet.

I know with time it will get easier.  I don't know when.  I just hope that
Popeye does okay with this.  When she went through the surgery he went into
depression.  He will get lots of hugs and kisses.  He isn't much for being
around people right now.  I am watching him closely though.

My Darling Sweet Pea,
We all want to let you know that we are thinking of you.  We will leave
treats in the closet where you always kept them for Popeye.  You have been
a joy to us and we hope that know what love is, for we loved you more than
anything.  I told you in a poem that I would help to show you love with
some help from up above.  You were coming around, but I think that the
greatest love I could give you was to help you when you were sick, whether
it be getting up at all hours of the night for water or helping you to the
bridge.

We all love you and miss you.  We will see you at the bridge someday.
Dooka dooka kissy kissy until then my cranberry eyes.

Love,
Mommy Daddy Freckles Popeye and Alice

PS I will finish your hat for you.

Until we meet again, I love you.