From:
"Leahy, Joe (MSMAIL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:24:19 -0600
Hi FMLers,

I'm a newbie to the list and need help dealing with a sick 1 yr old sable.
Max developed a high fever (107) two weeks ago Sunday.  He ran fever on and
off for about a week.  Other symptoms are big-time lethargy, little
appetite, chomping.  Took him to only ferret vet in town (Huntsville, AL).
Diagnosed with anemia (Red Blood cell count was 30, now 21) and possible
pneumonia (White Blood Cell Count - 9100).  XRay negative, Dr. Bruce
Williams (ferret.net) also mentioned possible enlarged spleen.  Max is on
high dose Amox, prednisone (4 days), and being fed Duck Soup.  He's gained
the 1 lb. he lost last week, but problem is, he acts no different.  Doesn't
eat or drink on his own, sleeps nearly100% of day, no activity, urinates and
bm's on himself, etc.

If pneumonia (yes, has a little nasal drainage), then how long for recovery
to normal bouncy fuzzy state?  He will hold his head up and drag himself
along the ground, not using his hinds, for about 1 minute before nodding off
again.  I realize anemia will sap them of all energy, but what's the cause?
And how long till he is back on his feet?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe