From:
"Jessica, Justine and Hal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 11:39:34 -0400
ECE as an ongoing chronic problem?

Does anyone have any ECE aftermath documentation or research yet...

I can not speak for our shelter, I am only a volunteer part of the week and
with the rotating schedules it is difficult at best to track the re
occurances of any signs of this illness.

However, I am with my own ferrets...

I have 4 ferrets that went through the ECE stages and developed the disease.
After the disease we continue to maintain the ferrets in a very clean
sanitized area.  We clean and change their bedding, litter boxes, and
contact areas often sanitizing these areas with soap and bleach.  We use a
antimicrobial and bacterial soap to clean up dropping spots.  And we put all
four on an additional period of amoxicilan to try to wipe out any remaining
signs of the disease.  Even with all of this we are still seeing one of them
still continues to have occasional slight greens.

Are other ferret families finding this as ongoing as well?

One of my 4 is an older ferret who appears to have had some intestinal
damage from the disease.  It appears so because of the loss of weight while
continuing to eat and drink on a regular basis.  It appears to be an
absorption problem.  We are feeding our ferret additional supplements and up
until a short while ago were continuing providing gator ade as an additional
electrolite.

Does anyone know whether or not the damage created from ECE to the ferrets
intestinal track will heal over time, or will this remain a chronic permanent
illness?  Is their any recommendations for treatment that can be shared with
our local ferret veterinarians?

Volunteers at the Greater Chicago Ferret Association (join us)
Jessica, Justine, and Hal (their Dad)