From:
Lorelei Okun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:05:08 -0500
From time to time, I see people giving away ferrets through this list
because of allergies.  But the article below (from March) claims there's
only one documented case of ferret allergy.  So I wondered what other
FMLers thought of the actual incidence rate of ferret allergy.  I myself
am allergic to pretty much anything with fur or feathers.  This includes
my 2 cats.  After a year of owning the same cat, I've noticed my allergies
lessen.  But I have not noticed any increase in symptoms since I got the 2
ferrets - so I'd guess I'm not allergic to them.

Thoughts?

NEW ALLERGY   FERRET
Also at the meeting, Dr. Richard Lockey, a professor of medicine at the
University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa and a past
president of the AAAAI, presented the first documented case of ferret
allergy.

He reported on a 41-year-old asthmatic man who developed hives when his
ferret sat on his bare chest.  And worse, exposure to the ferret allergen
while bathing the animal apparently triggered two asthma attacks, one of
which was nearly fatal, Lockey said.

Nevertheless, the ferret has not found a new home.  The patient is keeping
his ferret, Lockey said.

Dooks!
--Lorelei (who is keeping Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, Camilla and Gonzo)