From:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 06:32:54 -0800
From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Bob C: Erudite, Schmerudite. Where are the feral ferrets?

>Have Alphachi and Bill K napped off or something?  FML too quiet

Nope.  Fed up with dealing with folks who fight for the sake of fighting.
But you took the bait this time.  Have fun.

>From:    Lois Slaski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Corn cob bedding
>Does anyone out there in cyberland have any experience with corn cob
>bedding used for ferret litter boxes?

In our experiences it was less satisfactory than the pelleted litters.
Ironically it has Little odor and liquid absorption in a litter box.  We
didn't like the little peices getting into our washer and dryer either.  Not
too expensive.  Better than clay.  We used it for a longish while but moved
on to better things.  But try it.  Some folks really like it.

>From:    MRS DONNA J WHITE <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: few questions
>Hello.  I just have a few questions hopefully you can help me with.  Why
>is it recommended that ferrets have 3 distemper shots when they are
>babies?  Would just two do?

This information is from the vet at United Vaccine we talked to.  Well the
testing was done and passed with three vaccines.  The important two though
are usually numbers 2 and 3.  In many cases the immunities passed on from
the mother carry a kit until about week 11 or so.  That is why the shot at
that age.  In those kits the shot at week 8 isn't effective as it isn't
needed.  But is some cases the immunities from the mother do not last as
long and a shot at week 8 is needed.  Apparently the first distemper shot is
not completely effective so a second shot is needed and hence the shot at
week 14.  And the two shot regimen for ferrets of unknown vaccination
background.

>I have a MF ferret, so does anyone know which vaccine he would have had?

None of the three from the United Vaccines recommended series.  Thet get a
dose of Distamink (same active ingredients as Fervac-D with a different
diluent as we understand) but well before week 8 so it most likely does
nothing.

>I'm moving to another state in about 2 months.  Are fuzzies affected by
>moving?

Well there is this huge affect in that they no longer live in the same
place.  <grin>  Just joking of course.  Ferrets seem to handle moves
pretty well as long as enough of the old environment comes with them.
People/other ferrets, cage/bed and food being perhaps the most important.
Our crew handled our move last summer with no problems.  Some individual
ferrets handle the travel itself not so well.  One who is great while here
sia terror on the road.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/