From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 22:04:28 -0500
OK, I have now become totally confused about the rice/corn thing.  I have
always thought that rice was better, that it's more easily digested and
not likely to be used to inflate the protein ratio.

Iams' new carbohydrate mix (corn grits, grain sorghum) that supposedly
promotes more even blood sugar levels was of course tested in dogs and
cats, not ferrets, and who knows how it effects them.  Iams does know many
people feed Iams formulas to their ferrets, but they are not marketing it
as a ferret food, and aren't going to bother to test in ferrets.

To further confuse me, a few days ago, Dr. Jerry Murray, who seems to be
very knowledgeable, posted on the FAIML that insulinoma "is probably
related to the diet (too high in carbohydrates, especially rice)."  This
is the first time I've seen rice mentioned as particularly bad; I'd like
to know more details on that.

James Fox says that urinary stones are a problem for "any ferret eating a
diet having ground yellow corn as its primary ingredient."  (2nd edition,
pg 166) But is it likely to be a problem in lower concentrations?

Linda
Confused in Oberlin

PS The Iams kitten food at my grocery store has the new ingredients listed.
Price is a little more than Petsmart.  But the grocery store is 3 minutes
away, Petsmart 15.