From:
Brian Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1992 11:14:29 -0500
-> From: Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
->
-> If you have the choice, adopt from a shelter first.  Rescuing a
-> ...
-> Back to the advantages of shelter ferrets...  Remember, ferrets adapt
-> very well.  So it isn't vitally important that you get a kit in
-> order for it to bond to you.  The ferret will be just as attached
-> to you if you get it at 6 years old as if you get it at 6 weeks old!
-> Please adopt from shelters!  There are *SO* many wonderful, loving,
-> playful ferrets that desperately need a home.  They aren't just
-> abused, sick, mean ferrets.  The vast majority of them have absolutely
-> wonderful personalities.  Even the ones that come in with "attitude
-> problems" usually turn into sweethearts with a little love and
-> attention!

OK, we were thinking about getting Squirt a playmate.  Squirt's about
3 years old and is very well behaved (for a carpet shark anyway).  She
has never bitten anyone or anything (not made of rubber) and is very
good about using her litter box way back in the bedroom.  My concern is
that 1, we get a monster who bites and craps in every corner of the house.
and 2, the new monster teaches Squirt these nasty habits.  I realize
from this 'forum' that I've been quite fortunate with Squirt and
probably shouldn't expect this level of discipline from other weasels.

Anyway, here's my questions:

    - Are my concerns warranted?  (Will Squirt degenerate?)
    - Where in the Chicago area (prefer NW suburbs) is there a
        shelter with "*SO* many wonderful, loving, playful ferrets"?
    - Provided I can find one in the area, what should I look
        for / avoid in shelter ferrets?
    - Etc, etc...

Thanks,
Brian & the zoo.