From:
Vicki Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:02:34 -0700
Eddie;

While we used to think it was OK to give just a little bit of fruit or
soft veggies to ferrets as treats the line of thought now seems to be
that no fruits or veggies should be given at all.  The idea is that by
giving these foods we are giving more complex sugars and may be upping
the odds for them to develop insulinoma later in life.  So the answer is
they should have none.  If you do give them these treats please consider
limiting them to VERY little.  Two exceptions to this rule is that banana
is a good source of potassium and pumpkin seems to help stem diarreah.
So while we do try to follow doctors advice, there is a certain amount
of wiggle room for exceptions.

  ----------------------------

Cathy can you try the large cat revolution for a couple of months, to
try to eliminate certain paracites, and also try adding melatonin to the
diet?  How often do you bathe her?  I'm just fishing here for what it
may be, but if she's adrenal that sure is a likely suspect.  Since it is
shedding season you can bathe her ( I do not nornally suggest bathing a
ferret) and (this'll be fun) brush her daily to help remove the hair.

  ------------------------------

Gina;
My thoughts on the biting kit is that if you want this baby and have the
patience and time to nip train her get her before some jerk does.  I will
never forget the instance of the man who was going to surrender his
ferret because "the thing bites", but before the rescuer could get there
he took her out to play one more time, she bit and he launched her across
the room and hit the wall.  She died!  If you like her, please get her.
If you don't like her email me privately and well talk.

I was glad to see you referring to a ferret as grey.  I took in a
surrender this last weekend and the only color I could call her was
grey..  I've had a black sable whose tint was blue rather than red but
this is the first grey ferret I've seen.

I also had to laugh at the reference to the Canadian ferret.  One of the
two ferrety loves of my life was a very severe biter who became a very
people oriented playful lover.  She was a Canadian.  The most severe
biters I've encountered or heard of are Canadians.  That's not to say
only Canadians or that all Canadians are biters, but there does seem to
be more from that breeder.  I don't think they are as well socialized
before shipping and I do think they are more aggressive with biting in
the beginning; but they also become gentle just as any American bred
ferret I've seen.  Really who can blame these babies for biting.  When
they go through the torment we humans (well uncaring breeders) put them
through and the shipping terrors I think they've earned the right to
stand up and say enough.  It's up to each of us to show them that there
is love and gentle kindness to be had at a human's hand.

  ----------------------------

Hi Nell;
I think you're right.  It does sound as if you are removing layers of
alpha.  Because the babies are so young I think you are right to separate
the older ferrets from the babies and more gentle ferrets and let them
become accustomed to each other more slowly, such as through cages.  When
the babies are older and can fend for themselves better might be a better
time to introduce them to one more aggressive ferret at a time.  JMO

  ----------------------------

Hi Ardith;
I'm very sorry for your losses.  Of course it's hard when a loved one
leaves, but you already know that; and you seem to be holding up OK...
Hugs to you for all you've done and the love you've shared.

Vicki

Vicki Montgomery
Tricks and Treats Rescue
Greater Houston/Galveston Texas
713-472-6599
"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man
will not himself find peace." ~ Dr. Albert Schweitzer