From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:35:33 -0500
On Tuesday, 2/16/10, public television will be showing a documentary
called "Mine." My sister, Vanessa, and I saw a free screening of this
the other week and it was excellent.

"Mine" concerns animals left in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and
focuses on some of the adoption issues that arose due to this highly
unusual disaster. Animals needed to be spread across the US quickly in
order for more to be taken out of the Gulf area, however, due to the
inability for many residents to return home and try to reclaim lost
pets for weeks or even months, many animals already been adopted out
to new families.

It raises some issues of race & class and also points out that the
welfare agencies who took in the animals did not always recognize
that owners might step forward so long afterwards. It also raised
some perplexing issues of "quality care standards." While pets
weren't automatically spayed, or put on preventative meds, it did
not mean these people didn't love their animals. Lack of education,
finances, and in some cases cultural differences all contributed.
What is shocking and so sad was the attitude of some of the receiving
shelters. I know it made me rethink many of my "presumptions."

Locally in CT, it will be shown on channel 24 at 11 pm (which has the
unfortunate habit of putting any really valuable programming on at odd
hours so they can air reruns). WGBY in Springfield, MA has it on at (I
believe) 10 pm.

Please check your local PBS station's schedule.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of Connecticut