From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:46:58 -0400
>I was very relieved to find out tho that she wasn't a rodent :P.

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to Vicky, why does it really matter
whether they are rodents are not?  I find this attitude curious.  Why do
we look down on rodents...simply because they're "rodents"?  Shoot, if
it's fun, sociable, companionable, and safe, what does it really what
part of the animal kingdom it comes from?

I'm just continually surprised that so many people are frightened of or
turned off by mice - and rats - simply because of what they are.

I'm sorry to hear that Tasha is no longer with you, Vicky.

>I have 4 currently on Pediapred (no additional flavoring) and have
>no problem with them taking it.  Maybe you could try that.  I get it

I have never had a bit of trouble giving prednisone to mine.  In tablet
rather than liquid form, it's easily crushed and mixed with a little of
something tasty, like baby food or chicken gravy or even Nutrical.

>My son used comet or ajax cleaner (the powder) lined it around the wall
>and cuupboards.  They don't like the stuff!  Don't bomb the house the
>stuff will not work very well on the cockroches.

The stuff won't work very well on ferrets, either.  Avoid bombs entirely.
Even if you keep yourself and your ferrets clear long enough for the
fumes to dissipate, you're still going to have residue everywhere, and
your ferrets will - guaranteed - sniff and lick at it.  There's a reason
the instructions tell you to cover your dishes first.  Not to mention
that the things are wildly flammable, making the name "bomb" even more
appropriate.

I can't say I would want to use Comet or Ajax around ferrets, either.
They're going to sniff at that, too, and it can't be good for them.

> Q: I want to use freestanding hammocks for my free-roaming ferrets,
> but my wife doesn't want wooden boxes throughout the house.  Any
> other ideas?

Honestly, I think humans like the hammocks more than ferrets do.  They're
perfectly happy sleeping in any protected, warm, comfy spot.  Ours are
free roam, but have their hammocks available to them at all times, but
*rarely* do they ever use them.  They prefer their ground-based beds.

We actually take 10-gal Rubbermaid storage tubs and turn them into
nesting boxes.  Simply cut a 3-4" hole in one of the narrow ends for the
ferrets to get through (Rubbermaid plastic cuts well, but this is still
VERY dangerous - if you're not mechanically inclined or are not good with
sharp knives, find someone who is!), fill the tub with soft bedding (the
small Companion Road beds are the perfect size, are cheap, and return
money to a good cause), and stick it somewhere unobtrusive.  Several of
our ferrets love these things.  And it's easy to pop the top to clean it
or to check on your ferrets.

We also have Companion Road and other beds strewn here and there - under
end tables, under nightstands, under the bed.... (sensing a theme?) These
are popular with our ferrets, too.

I actually once tried putting a hammock in one of the nesting
boxes....but it was pretty much universally ignored.

roger & the wolverine wannabees
missing bear and lancelot