From:
Darren Carfano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 13:07:20 EDT
Hello fellow FML'ers and ferts...

My opinion on treats...a seemingly important issue on the FML.

What DO we know...

Ferrets are carnivores and therefore need a certain amount of animal
protein in their diet.
Q: How should they get this?

Well (1) there is the natural way -- meat.  This is the way natured
intended.  Since we hoomans take care of them...it might be a little
harder to feed them as they were naturally intended.
(2) They can get this by feeding them the best kitten food on the market
(Iams, Science Diet, etc.) or ferret food (I've heard Totally Ferret is da
best.).

Personally, I don't think that there is any real (signifcant) difference
between the two.  Again, this is opinion, not fact (I'm not a certified
expert).  I mean it's like this.  Say someone's lactose intolerant..they
take calcium supplements for them to get their daily allowance, since they
can't get most of their calcium the natural way.

Since ferrets can't get their protein the natural way, they get it some
other way.  They live just as happily.  If you're a naturalist, then you
might opt for the meat.

NOW BOUT THE TREATS.  Please don't use chocolate.  Pretty please?  It may
work, but with all the cases out there..better safe than sorry.  But as far
as what to give them....ANYTHING THEY WANT!!  :-)...vegetable, fruit, OR
meat.  Also...make sure you research.  That's why the FML is sooo great...
they can give past experiences with certain foods.

It really doesn't matter.  Just as long as it is in moderation.  For
example, too much dairy may lead to loose stools.  Too much treats may lead
to a favor of treats over food.  The ferret must know it is a treat and not
part of his regular diet.  If moderation is used, you should have one happy,
healthy ferret.

Just an opinon...please don't go on and on about how I am wrong.  I know I
can't be THAT wrong, and if I am..please tell me so constructively.

Happy ferreting..

Darren