From:
Dee Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:28:06 -0500
Hi Tara and list,

Tara, I completely agree with you that any form of AC needs to be done
with responsibility.  In my experiences with Lorelei Hunt she will only
give me symptoms....she will not say what organ it's coming from or come
anywhere near giving me a diagnosis, even when I've press her for it.  It
is up to the ferret owner to provide knowledgable vet care in order to
obtain a diagnosis.  Lorelei's website and even The Pet Psychic credits
state that it is not a substitute for appropriate veterinary care.

I agree that the AC person involved used bad judgement.  I'm sure they
were only trying to help, but experience with ferrets does not make them
a vet.  I'm sure Lorelei would agree that you have to weigh the impact of
what you might relay to an owner.  By telling someone your pet doesn't
want to go to the vet when they really need to go, you have a direct
impact on the health and well-being of that animal.  Imagine the
incredible guilt the owner would feel if the pet died and later found out
that the animal could have been saved with proper veterinary
intervention.

I have used AC several times to find out how my guys are feeling...why
they've stopped eating, etc.  I have taken this info to my vet and one
achey chest on exertion turned out to be cardiomyopathy.  There are
definite merits to AC, but nothing is written in stone and no one but
a vet has the right to make a diagnosis, period.

Some people may view AC only as entertainment, but I hold it in much
higher esteem than that.  It has brought me a deeper understanding and
connection with my pets.  It has provided insight into health problems
and has eased my grief over beloved animals that have gone to the Bridge.
I have found it to be an invaluable resource, and extremely accurate.
Everyone has to decide for themselves.

The bottom line is that we are the ones responsible for the health of our
pets.  It is our responsibility to provide veterinary care regardless of
what anyone else says and a diagnosis should only come from a vet.

I am sorry for the owner who has had this experience.  It was simply not
fair or responsible of the AC to provide the info that they did.  It was
simply not appropriate.

Dodie in NJ