From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:04:50 +0000
So I believe deaf people should not have children?  Heck no.  But consider
this...

If the adults were aware the problem which caused their deafness was
genetic and their children would also be born deaf and pass it on to their
children.... wouldn't a responsible adult take that into consideration
when deciding to have children?

I DO have human friends who have chosen not to have natural children due
to a genetic illness or problem in their family and I respect them for
their choice.

Also being a bit of a Devils Advocate myself, I propose this question.
How would if affect this line of thought if babies who were born deaf had
a significantly higher ratio of being neglected, abused and abandoned?

Tookie, you asked about the *throw away* comment.  I can explain that...
like every other shelter on this list... deaf ferrets are high on the
throw-away list.  Not that WE consider them such, but because that's what
happens to them.

They are dumped off at shelters, pounds, vet clinics or dumped on the side
of the road for reasons like "They won't mind", or "they bite".... In
EVERY SINGLE case of a deaf ferret I have received into my shelter, the
former owner had no clue it was deaf.