From:
Peria Area Ferret Connection <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:19:35 -0400
Hi.  Maybe this has been addressed in the past, but I haven't found it yet.
I was at the store and picked the kids up some yogurt raisins.  Does anyone
know if the ferrets can have these?

Another question.  We picked up two ferrets yesterday from someone that
didn't want them anymore.  The lady said one male, one female.  Both are
female.  Her vet spayed her Marshall ferret 3 years ago.  This same vet had
the ferrets eating the cheapest DOG FOOD that Wal-Mart sells.  He said it's
just fine.  This same vet declaws ferrets - I talked to another lady that
goes to the same vet.  He recommended to her that she declaw her ferrets.
All four of her ferrets are declawed - "but just in the front"!!!

The two ferrets we picked up yesterday have a problem I'm not sure I've seen
before.  At the base of each of their tails, there is what looks like a
white band around their tails.  After closer examination, we noticed that
both of their tails were pretty severely dislocated!  One of the little
girls has a front leg that is making a popping sound when I wash or dry her.
She is VERY jumpy - especially toward the other ferret.  She appears to be
completely deaf.  The ferrets were kept in an outside homemade kennel.  We
live in the middle part of Illinois.  The ferrets are about 4 years old and
have lived their entire lives in that kennel.  The two were in the same
kennel, but it was divided down the middle where they couldn't reach
eachother.  They both have severe ear mites too.  This is what this lady's
vet said was "perfectly fine."

Is there anything that can be done about the dislocated tails?  We have no
idea how long their tails have been this way.  The ferrets are going to one
of our club members that works for a veterinarian.  What info should I pass
along to them?

Sorry this is so long.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Mary
Peoria Area Ferret Connection