Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:30:28 -0500
Alex in MA wrote:
>The Big Pink Orchid and I go way back. <snip> I've bought some of my
>plants but in my experience the best ones are the ones given as gifts.
>I had never grown an orchid before, and I was really looking forward
>to those "big pink flowers." That was the winter of 1991-92.

I reminisce:
Wow! That was my daughter's senior year in high school, Alex! Since
then she has finished college, moved to Utah, married, raised LOTS of
orchids, had the cats destroy them all and is once more raising them.
Beautiful things they are, too!

Alex continued:
> ... It's happening. Yes, after SIXTEEN YEARS my orchid has sent up
>what I am told is called a "raceme" that is now a good three feet
>long and dimpled with buds. You were expecting me to say "pink buds",
>weren't you?... They are yellow. Yellow buds.

I wonder:
Looking at the picture, it appears the flowers are yellow underneath,
but have beautiful pink prominence in them. I think the pink may be
the primary color, which could be why he referred to them as pink,
you think?

Alex growled:
>And if that *&)+er blooms while I am away, I am going to select
>someone's mailbox at random, and stick the plant inside with a
>little note:
>This orchid will make big pink flowers.

To which I reply:
Dear Wierd Al, my mailbox can be located at . . . Never mind, I will
come pick it up. What's for dinner, Dann?

Love,
Your road-weary friend,

Renee :) (and her Roadies)

p.s. Thanks to Lynn for this nickname for the Wayfaring Weasels!
--
Renee Downs
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the