From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:22:26 EST
>This leads me to wonder if american ferrets are different from european
>ferrets as everyone complains/states that it is impossible to teach ferrets
>not to destroy the plants.

Well ... I'm a U.S. American, and my two ferrets generally (as in ... not
100%, but close) stay away from my plants and other things they're not
allowed to touch.  Of course, I remove as much stuff from temptation range
as possible.  However, there are some areas, like one window sill (with
plants!) next to my kitchen table and my coffee table that I just can't
"ferret proof".  So ... I just trained my ferrets that those areas are "out
of bounds".

For the most part (99% of the time), they obey, and stay well clear of these
areas.  I do my best to "entertain" and supervise them to make sure that
boredom and/or temptation don't cause them to stray.  I can only recall
twice in the past year, though, that my plants have been messed with, and
only once in the past year that they've gotten on the coffee table.  So yes,
American ferrets are trainable!

- Ela