From:
Test Scoring 3 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:19:17 -0500
While we're on the subject of ferrets as blood donors, I have a question.
Stimy is estimated at about 7 yrs old, (he was a rescue, hence the
estimation).  Is that to old to be a donor?  He's in great health and
except for a drop in body weight a couple of years ago when he escaped for
2 weeks, he's had no problems.  He was going to be a donor to an anemic
ferret in the area, but unfortunately the ferret passed on before anything
could be done.  But I told the vet to keep us in mind if there are other
ferrets in need.  I would hate to think of a ferret dying because a donor
could not be found...much less if it was one of my boys.  In the prior
case, it was an emergency and no other healthy ferrets could be found to
help, so I agreed.  But I'd like to know for sure if this is safe for him
before the topic comes up again.  I know he's old, but he's in great
health!  (BTW thank the Lord for a 7 year old HEALTHY ferret!!!!  I feel
like that's very rare.)

Any input would be appreciated.  Also, assuming that Stimy is okay to be a
donor, I live in Blacksburg, VA and am willing to help out any ferrets in
need of help in the area.  So, keep me in mind - I am free to travel (a
little bit) on the weekends.

For the love of the fuzzybutts!
Kim and Jerry and Stimy.

2096 Derring Hall (0438)