From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:24:21 -0400
First of all, I want to thank Barb, Kim, and the numerous other
volunteers and supporting businesses who are pulling off this rescue.  I
have followed it over the last two days and a miracle has truly happened.
I shudder to think what Barb and Kim have witnessed.  They will probably
have nightmares for a long time to come.  Now, on to the point of this
post.....

A huge breeder rescue has taken place, involving over 60 ferrets.
Rocky's Ferret Rescue & Shelter and numerous other shelters and
volunteers are pitching in make this happen.  This will end up costing
probably in excess of $10,000.  Each ferret has to be spayed/neutered,
ADV tested, vet checked, and vaccinated.  They then will be available
for adoption through numerous participating shelters.

This is NOT a single shelter rescue.  This is NOT a single shelter asking
for donations.  This is not a political issue.  Yes, a single shelter is
coordinating the rescue, which is a necessity.  But, it's the ferret
community's responsibility to make it happen.

I have to say that I am terribly disappointed that two (that I know of)
of our larger ferret groups/lists rejected posts asking for help with
this rescue, namely The Ferret Store Ferret Forum and The Ferret Health
List.  Barb Clay, the Director of Rocky's, wrote a post and asked that it
be distributed everywhere, soliciting donations of funds and supplies,
and yes, support for the rescue.  Many of us helped to get the word out.
The Ferret Store (TFS) Ferret Forum rejected the post twice, saying that
shelters can't ask for financial assistance on that list.  It has to be
on TFS shelter list, which I'm sure is read by hundreds of people daily
<sarcasm>.  The Ferret Health List rejected it as being "in violation of
the political rule", which I still don't understand.  I can post about
this because I was one person who sent the rejected posts to both of
these lists.  This is inexcusable, in my opinion, and shows a terrible
lack of support for this rescue.  Both places cited "rules" which
prevented the posts.  This is a situation where "rules" should be broken.

It is such a disappointment to me that some of the largest groups are
not showing their support.  And, it really takes no effort other than
just allowing the post to go through.  No one is asking these groups to
actually DO anything.  But, it's all the little guys who are pitching in
to make it happen, which always seems to be the way.  Now is the time to
set aside personal differences and pull together as a community.

And, thank you Bill for allowing Barb's post on the FML.  You did what
was right.

Katharine

[Moderator's note: I'm not familiar enough with the policies of TFS board
to comment, but I support the decision of the FHL moderators -- if I were
moderating that list I would have done the same thing.  It's really not a
personal or political issue at all -- just a question, in my view anyhow,
about the purpose of each list.  I won't comment further though, since it
is not my place to debate what other lists should or shouldn't do, but at
the same time I didn't what people to think the FML is "better" because I
allowed the post.  That's what the FML is for!  BIG]