From:
Leah Drobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:57:44 EST
I adopted my little girl Skittles from the South Jersey Small Animal
Rescue in Lower Twp, Cape May County, NJ last July. I was told that
she was under a year old, and that she was found on the streets of
Margate. I thought the shelter was very clean, it had 1 room for
reptiles, 1 for birds, and 1 for ferrets, and there were about 7
ferrets there. It had a huge cage, I was told that they had the run
of the room in the daytime (so why were they not out when I was there
at 1:00?).

Danielle/Daniel seemed very knowledgeable about animals and
compassionate about their well being. When I was doing the adoption
contract, I noticed on the wall there was a small document with the
name Danielle Tyce on it. I asked Danielle/Daniel why the last names
were different, he said that it was his married name, and he was
divorced. He also charged me a $10 fee for wildlife permit, which I
later found out that I was supposed to send application in for, not
him. After having Skittles a short time, one night I decided to check
out her teeth. I knew right away that they were not teeth of a young
ferret. I took her up to my vet, who confirmed my suspicions, she is
around 4. Ok, no biggie, I loved her, she loved me and my family, thank
God she is healthy. I told my vet that the vet I adopted Skittles from
knows him and his wife, he said he had no idea who she is. Hmmmm.

Then in Nov. Daniel and his "boyfriend" Sam showed up at my door, in
animal control/spca/swat (lol) type uniforms, complete with badges and
billyclubs. They said they were here to make a surprise inspection. I
wasn't home, my husband asked them to come back in an hour, but they
said just bring her to the door, they checked her out then gave him
paperwork showing the inspection passed, and signed it Capt. Danielle
Smith, DVM.

The woman that blew the whistle on them, for their suspicious behavior
over the time she befriended them, was interviewed in our local paper
yesterday. I called her and we had a long chat. I will go to court
with her for moral support. I gave her permission to give my # to a
reporter, and had a phone interview with him yesterday. He did a story
today and described my dealings with Daniel. I found out yesterday that
Father Nature Rescue was able to find out that there were no ferrets at
the one shelter that I went to (not sure if she had other sites), and
that there was just a bird and couple lizards there which have been
removed. I was very worried about that, I had called the Animal Control
and detective bureau about any animals being in that house, they did
not respond.

This whole story is stranger than fiction.......a man impersonating a
woman impersonating a veterinarian.......sounds like a tv movie.