From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 20:04:32 -0700
>From:    Randy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets & full spectrum Lighting

This really is general interest as it hasn't been fully discussed here.

The earliest we know of someone using full spectrum (or wide spectrum)
lighting on a ferret with adrenal symptoms was posted here on this list

>Date:    Sat, 2 Mar 1996 19:07:47 -0500
>From:    Doug Gerald <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Some Observations ... and another joke

I'll quote a bit...  [some text deleted]

>When we returned, we noticed that Tori was losing fur big time, and within
>about a week had lost all the hair from his tail, back, and belly.  He was
>also scratching a lot.  I took him to the Vet, and she thought he might have
>an adrenal problem, but the blood test came back negative.  She wanted to
>operate right away, but we held off, and opted for antibiotics instead (for
>the lacerations created by his constant scratching).
>We did four things while we were observing him carefully.
>   1.) Changed his diet from Wiskas kitten food to a mixture of Science Diet
>       and Iams kitten foods.
>   2.) Provided him with a half teaspoon of Feritone and Multi-vitamin
>       supplement each day.
>   3.) Gave him extra love and attention, including brushing his bare skin
>       and remaining fur each day.
>   4.) Purchased and set up a full spectrum light to simulate the sunlight
>   he was not getting due to our short winter days up here.  During
>   mid-December, the sun is up at about 10:00AM and down before 3:00PM.
>Within days, he began to show a stubble on his back.  The stubble became a
>spot, and the spot spread.  He now has all his fur back, and it is thicker,
>and softer than ever.  Ferrets shed and regrow their coats twice a year, and
>I just can't help but think that maybe the stress or poor nutrition ... or
>both cause the loss of one coat and growing of the second to be out of
>synch.  I don't know what good the light did except the changing of some
>animal's coats is sometimes triggered by the amount of available daylight.
>Kept inside as they are, they may not get the cues they need for their
>internal clocks.

Since then Dayna formerly of California has used a different regimen that
shares the use of wide/full spectrum lighting, a better grade of food and
more vitamins.  We understand extra care is given as well.  Dayna's regimen
includes some "medicines" not used by Doug and Sue from Alaska.

Doug did not say whether the blood test used was the rather inaccurate one
or invovled the Tennessee panel.

Oldest reference found on adrenals having something to do with lighting
cycles so far appears to be Debbie Riccio writing about comments from Dr.
Judi Bell, among the most ferret knowledgeable vets.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]