From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 09:40:58 -0800
Hi All,

1st let me say that I was extremely lucky in that when the following
accident took place my sweet Precious was not seriously hurt and is only a
little sore.  This was something I had never considered would happen since I
have used the following object for 34 years with this never having happened
before.

If you have a pull out bread/cutting board in your kitchen PLEASE BEWARE.
It can be a death trap!  You absolutely should use some wooden doweling or
screws to secure it so that it cannot accidentally fall out.

Yesterday about 2 am I was working on such a board and was taping something
down.  The tape secured itself to the board and in trying to get it undone
it pulled the board all the way out and it fell out and down with a crash.
Rowdy and Precious were playing underneath that area when it fell.  Rowdy
saw it coming and hid under the edge of the cabinet in a flash but Precious
was laying in a plastic bag and never saw it coming.  We were very lucky
that she was LAYING and not standing up.  The board landed flat on top of
her even tho I scrambled like a mad woman to catch it.  I even broke a
fingernail when I almost caught it.  I grabbed it off her immediately and
she flew out of there like a crazy bug.  I ran after her crying and scared
and checked her all over.  She seemed fine other than she was kind of
walking lower than usual and not so humped up.  She was a bit on nervous for
awhile too.  I could feel an indentation in her spine but thought it was
normal around the shoulder blades.  I watched her for several hours until
the vet opened and then rushed her there just in case.  SHE WAS FINE, thank
the Great Spirit.  My vet was so sweet that he only charged me $17 instead
of $26 which is the normal office call.  He asked how many ferts I have now
and when I told him 10 I guess he figured I was a gold mine anyway so why
stick it to me too badly<G>.  LOL!  Today Precious is doing great and she
got lots of rest yesterday.  I am so grateful that nothing terrible happened
due to this.  If she had been standing or the board landed sideways her back
could have been broken so easily and other awful things as well.  Now I will
fix that damn board immediately so this will never happen again, please all
of you do the same!

*      Kelleen & the INSANE Animal House              *
*      President and Founder of F.A.N.G.              *
*      (Ferret Association of Neverending Glee)       *
*      Boise, Idaho                                   *
*   I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday!  *
*   All they want is lots of love and great chow.     *
*         Idiocy is our only option!                  *
*     Dustin Hoffman from movie Outbreak              *