From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 00:21:04 -0500
The two main things brought up by Lynn seem very far against what seems to
be standard practice amongst the breeders we know.  Our opinion of course.
Jills should be used for breeding or spayed.  Hobs should be used for
breeding or neutered.  I'll ask some folks to be sure it isn't just my
opinion but I'm pretty sure they'll agree.  I have never heard of 'needing
to relieve the sexual tension of hobs'.  I see some point but not much.  If
a hob is not good enough to be bred then why is he not altered?

Specifically regarding the second hob in situation.  It is a common belief
among the breeders we work with that the length of time a hob is with a jill
will have some bearing on the litter size.  It also will lead to kits not
fully developed being born with fully developed kits.  This second hob in
might well father some kits leading to litters of mixed heritage.  Not a
good breeding practice.  This is of course a belief based on anecdotal
evidence not a proven fact.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets